dinsdag 22 mei 2007

Ravin' Mad

Many if not most of the friends I have made over time, online as well as in real life, are amongst the people that would be considered crazy, mad, mentally ill and various other wordings by society as a whole. They have either been diagnosed with mental illnesses according to the DSM IV bible, or people consider them mad because they think and act differently than most other people. They don't fit the general public's picture of "normal", and as a result of this they have often had, and at times are still having, a difficult life.

The funny thing is that "mad" seems to be something largely depending on the standards of the people surrounding the "mad" person. It is largely defined by cultural and social standards, it depends on where and when the "mad" person lives and who they interact with. There is also a thin line between being considered mad, and being considered a genius and ahead of one's time. Both Newton and Einstein for instance were considered raving lunatics by society during their time. Nowadays we see them a lot different. A shaman, interacting with spirits, healing the sick both physically and mentally is seen as a holy man by his tribe.. but if I told my doctor I do the very same thing I may very well end up in a mental hospital where they will do their very best to convince me there is no such thing as talking with the spirits, diagnose me with schizophrenia and stuff me with pills that make those weird ideas go away. Truth, as always, is in the eye of the beholder.

So why am I writing all this? because I wanted to tell you I am extremely grateful for all the "mad" people I have the honor of calling my friends. I salute them, for having the guts to be different. I watch them fight their demons, from a distance or sometimes from very close by because I am a part of that struggle and fight by their side. I stand in awe listening to their out of the box ideas, their perceptions that at times have helped me a tremendous lot with mine. I admire their courage as I watch them deal with things that are impossible to deal with as they go through deep depressions, manic periods, terrible nightmares. I am as over the moon as they are when they tell me about sightings, new connections, battles they have won and the light they discovered at the end of the tunnel. And most of all.. I admire their warmth. The warmth that can only be felt from people who are real, true to themselves, facing both the darkness and the light inside them. Ravin' mad people are the best.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten