maandag 28 mei 2007

Favourite Quotes

Here's a bunch of my favourite quotes. I like them for various reasons and collected them over time. They tell you a lot about my outlook on life. So here goes, another shred of my soul... as written by others far more eloquent than myself.


"Impossible is a word humans use too often."
--- Seven of Nine in StarTrek Voyager

"Nils Illigitimus Carborundurum" (never let the bastards grind you down)
Aussie Latin proverb

"To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."
--- Sun Tzu in "The art of War"

"I do not want to be the leader. I refuse to be the leader. I want to live darkly and richly in my femaleness. I want a man lying over me, always over me. His will, His pleasure, His Desires, His life, His work, His sexuality the touchstone, the command, my pivot. I dont mind working, holding my ground intellectually, artistically; but as a woman, oh God, as a woman i want to be Dominated. I dont mind being told to stand on my own two feet, not to cling to all that i am capable of doing but I am pursued, fucked, possessed by the will of a male at His time, His Bidding......"
--- Anais Nin

"Being powerful is like being a lady, if you have to say that you are then you're probably not"
--- M. Thatcher.

"Dream as if you'll live forever... live as if you'll die today."
--- James Dean

1. Take into account that great love and great achievements involve great risk.
2. When you lose, don't lose the lesson
3. Follow the three Rs: Respect for self, Respect for others, and Responsibility for all your actions.
4. Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck.
5. Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.
6. Don't let a little dispute injure a great friendship.
7. When you realize you've made a mistake, take immediate steps to correct it.
8. Spend some time alone every day.
9. Open your arms to change, but don't let go of your values.
10. Remember that silence is sometimes the best answer.
11. Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll be able to enjoy it a second time.
12. A loving atmosphere in your home is the foundation for your life.
13. In disagreements with loved ones, deal only with the current situation. Don't bring up the past.
14. Share your knowledge. It's a way to achieve immortality.
15. Be gentle with the earth.
16. Once a year, go some place you've never been before.
17. Remember that the best relationship is one in which your love for each other exceeds your need for each other.
18. Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it.
19. Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon.
--- Rules for living - The Dalai Lama

"Those who practice and promote Political Correctness are doing a service to society,
as I need to know who to shoot when we take over."
--- Borgia

"A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices."
--- William James

"Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."
Anonymous Dragon

"Truth gains more even by the errors of one who, with due study and preparation, thinks for himself, than by the true opinions of those who only hold them because they do not suffer themselves to think."
--- John Stuart Mills, On Liberty

"Let me test my mettle against your ambition... let me be the wall you drive into, I will be the one who will weather the storm, not because I love you, but because I can, and for that you will love me.
I am no hero and I am certainly not a martyr... I crave the challenge, it validates my own identity as a power house."
--- Anonymous

"He who is not busy being born is busy dying"
--- Bob Dylan

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
--- Marcus Aurelius

"Wisdom without kindness and knowledge without sobriety are useless."
--- The Fire from within, Carlos Castaneda

"Tunnel vision should never be confused with having a view."
--- Anonymous

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule."
--- H.L. Mencken

"I will always be honest with you...and you will either love me or hate me. But at least if you hate me, it will be for who I truly am, not for who I pretend to be."
--- Anonymous

"The most severe disability a person could possibly have can not be seen
on the physical body or heard by the physical ear... But it comes from within...
The most severe disability a person could possibly have is a
negative attitude, because you are saying, it's not possible, it's not true,
but worst of all, you're saying, you can't."
--- Anonymous

"There are two kinds of strengths:
the strength to lead,
and the strength to follow;
the strength to control,
and the strength to yield.
There are two kinds of power:
the power to strip another's soul bare,
and the power to stand naked."
--- Gurumayi Chidvilasananda

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
--- Theodore Roosevelt

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall."
--- Confucius

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
--- Bill Cosby

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
--- Eleanor Roosevelt

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."
--- John Lennon

"People will always talk about you, especially when they envy you and the life you live. Let them... you affected their lives, they didn't affect yours."
--- Anonymous

"Destiny is not a matter of chance; it's a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for; it is a thing to be achieved."
--- William Jennings Bryan

"I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying."
--- Michael Jordan

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
--- Margaret Mead

"Man does not cease to play because he grows old, he grows old because he ceases to play."
--- Drew Lachey

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity and I'm not sure about the former."
--- Albert Einstein

"Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people."
--- Anonymous

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
--- Dr. Suess

"Excellence can be achieved if you . . . risk more than others think is safe, love more than others think is wise, dream more than others think is practical, and expect more than others think is possible."
--- Anonymous

"A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words."
--- Anonymous

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."
--- Oscar Wilde

"I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish he didn't trust me so much."
--- Mother Theresa

"Everyone hears what you say. Friends listen to what you say. Best friends listen to what you don't say."
--- Anonymous

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."
--- Albert Einstein

"Once in a while you will stumble upon the truth but most of us manage to pick ourselves up and hurry along as if nothing had happened."
--- Winston Churchill

"Worrying is like being in a rocking chair, It gives you something to do but does not get you anywhere."
--- Anonymous

"Nothing is as real as a dream. The world can change around you, but your dream will not. Responsibilities need not erase it. Duties need not obscure it. Because the dream is within you, no one can take it away."
--- Tom Clancy

"Enter every activity without giving mental recognition to the possibility of defeat. Concentrate on your strengths, instead of your weaknesses . . . on your powers, instead of your problems."
--- Paul J. Meyers

"Failure is not fatal. Only failure to get back up is."
--- John C. Maxwell

"By the time you are old enough to know that your parents were right, you have children of your own that think you are wrong."
--- Anonymous

"Most relationships are not made in heaven. They come in kits and you have to put them together yourselves."
--- Anonymous

"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear not absence of fear."
--- Mark Twain

"A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle."
--- Erin Majors

4 opmerkingen:

  1. Hi Melody, How are you?

    I am from New Delhi, India. Basically I don't participate in blogs but after reading the quotes I couldn't stop myself sending my heartiest congratulations for these quotes. Keep it up

    rajiv_20071@yahoo.co.in

    Bye

    Rajeev

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. Hello Rajeev, I am fine, thank you, and thank you for leaving a comment on my blog, especially since it's something you never do I value it even more.

    Have a wonderful day!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. Just as I thought, you and I have a lot of quotes in common. If you don't believe me check my blog of thought of the day posts. :)

    The others I had not read before, but they are all good. Excellent post. Mind if I use the ones I have not used as future thoughts of the day?

    Cheers,
    Sunny.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. Hello Sunny,

    Of course you can use these quotes for your own blog, I don't own them, I just collected them :)

    *hugs*
    Mel

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen