woensdag 13 juni 2007

Cuddle pile

As soon as I open the front door the kids run past me and inside the house, leaving me on the doorstep holding my bike which has two heavy shopping bags hanging from the steer. I growl and manage to lift the bags off the bike, carry them inside, then park my bike in the hallway.

Once I have closed the door behind me I take a bag in each hand and make my way into the kitchen. I can hear the kids in the living room upstairs, laughing and screaming and running around on the wooden floor, making so much noise it hurts my ears. I'm tired, I'm hot, my bad knee hurts from the long walk home, I'm hungry, need to put the groceries away and make lunch. Taking another few steps into the kitchen I almost trip over the kids' schoolbags, left in the middle of the floor. I kick them aside and am about to yell something very unfriendly upstairs as something red and furry slides along my shins, forcing me to instantly come to a full stop, waving my arms with the shopping bags to prevent myself from falling over.

"Rascal!" I yell at the cat and he looks up at me, giving me one of those "whot??" looks. Ignoring my obvious anger he keeps rubbing against my legs, purring loudly. It's impossible to stay mad at a cat if they act like that. Soon, Jake and Elwood join in. We named the striped tabby twins after the Blues Brothers and often tell each other they share 3 brain cells between them. Two pairs of yellow eyes gaze up at me, giving me adoring looks not cluttered by any sort of intelligence. A purring choir now surrounds my ankles and I surrender, putting the bags on the floor then carefully making my way to the big old sofa in the kitchen.

They jump me the instant I sit down, one in my lap, the other two next to me on the sofa, all three of them purring loudly, rubbing their faces against me, tails up in the air. A fourth cat joins in and soon we become one big cuddle pile on the sofa, petting and rubbing and purring. The bags with the groceries forgotten on the kitchen floor.

After a few minutes my son comes walking down the stairs, peeking into the kitchen and finding me there, on my back on the sofa with a big grin on my face and four cats on top of me. "Ehm mom.. are you okay?" he asks. I laugh and nod and assure him I'm just fine.

Cuddle piles are the greatest. And if you have no cats: it works miracles with humans, too.

5 opmerkingen:

  1. The Village Kitty sees Mel unhappy and jumps up on her lap, purring and rubbing his head all over making cute little kitty noises...
    Mrawr... Mew... Rawr...
    Feel better yet, Mel? Hmm?
    /me purrrrrrrrrrrrrsss...

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. *giggles and purrs* ehm no, I still feel ehm.. very bad, and need much more of that! *nodsnods*

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. Village Kitty rolls around on her lap cuddling and purring and enerally being ridiculously cute...
    Then he thinks maybe she'd rather try the human cuddle pile...
    And a Noble shows up, grinning mischieviously...

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. Oh! Well hello Sir! You look different, somehow. Must be the hair, or lack thereof. *grins and runs* last one to get in the pile has to clean up afterwards ;)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  5. Hello Melody..scanned thru your blog..I like your writing ability. See you in SL.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen