zondag 1 februari 2009

Cold Turkey

Two days ago, both Ron and I quit smoking. Without any pills or patches or whatever, just the good old fashioned cold turkey method. So far, I'm doing fairly well, although I will admit I have my difficult moments countless times a day. Much to my own surprise it's not even the wanting to smoke I am having a hard time with. It's the side effects that annoy me to no end, and primarily the concentration problems.

I'm usually the type whose mind can easily perform multiple complicated tasks at once, I'm very organised and verbally strong. Now, the simplest things like making lunch or folding laundry take me forever, because halfway through I'll forget who wanted what or I'll stand with the one blue sock in my hand, just not seeing the other one that goes with it, then forgetting I need the second blue sock alltogether. I'll walk into a room to fetch that ehm.. yes.. what am I doing here? Or, and this one particularly bugs me: I'll forget I was talking to someone online in mid conversation, go do something else and then when they go "hello?" because I'm not responding I'll reply with a happy "Hi!" before realizing I was already talking to them before.

Apart from a bit demented I am also constantly restless, and even though I am in a great mood I just know that should anyone rub me the wrong way I am quite likely to snap.

And so I just hope I manage to make it through the first difficult weeks without caving in and without damaging my relationships with people I care about too much. I'm really not being a bitch or unattentive on purpose.. just a junkie going cold turkey to get rid of her addiction. Please, cut me some slack, okay?

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten